By December, the Curry household is in full game day mode – and you know what that means – plenty family and friends visiting and plenty of game day food! Now, I always have my go-to game day recipes, but sometimes I like to shake it up a bit. So, today I’m going to be making my “Game day Chili” from my book The Seasoned Life, and to go with my Chili I want to make cornbread, of course!
But today, we’re not making just any cornbread. I’m going to mix in jalapenos for some added heat and balance that out with a flavorful brown butter, brown sugar crust. And maybe serve it up with a little maple butter!
The best part about this delicious cornbread recipe is it’s going to take me no time at all to whip up because I’m going to be using Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix. Cornbread from a box you say?! Trust me, this product will make a believer out of you. This cornbread mix uses the same real simple ingredients you would find in your pantry, and contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, so I feel comfortable feeding it to my family and our game day guests. Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix is my go-to when I want a delicious, scratch-made taste in a fraction of the time.
You can try my elevated recipe included below, or simply follow the instructions on the box. This mouthwatering, sweet, and buttery cornbread with absolutely no artificial flavors is the perfect complement to my “Game day chili”. Enjoy!
Cast Iron Brown Butter and Sugar Jalapeño Cornbread
- 1 box Simply Homemade Cornbread
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 seeded and minced jalapeño
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add first four ingredients in bowl and mix well.
- Gently fold in jalapeño.
- Set aside bowl.
- Heat a cast iron skillet at medium high heat.
- Add in 4 tablespoons of butter. Watch closely and stir until lightly browned. About 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in brown sugar with brown butter and leave in the pan.
- Pour the cornbread mix over the mixture. Make sure to smooth it out over the whole bottom of the pan.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the oven for 25-30 minutes. Or until lightly browned at the top.
- Once done remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Optional: Maple butter. Mix 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in small bowl. Lightly brush the top of the warm cornbread with mixture.