A New Year is almost upon us. If you’re like me your plans may be a little last minute. I am here to save the day! Here are a few of my quick and easy go-to bites when entertaining. The best thing about these dishes are that they are quick, affordable, and easy to make. Don’t feel bad about using shortcuts! Especially not on a holiday when people are organizing and preparing for a fresh start. The food should be the last of your worries! Now, lets do this!!! Happy eating and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Bite sized chicken and waffles
- Cooked chicken tenders cut into bite sized pieces. (Absolutely nothing wrong with buying pre-cooked tenders)
- Waffle mix and waffle iron ( just follow your brands instructions)
- Maple syrup, hot sauce.
- Large toothpicks.
Shrimp and Grit Bites
- 1- 2 cups prepared grits.
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar, gouda, etc.)
- 2- 3 Tablespoons butter. Plus one tablespoon for shrimp.
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 4 ounces prepared crispy pancetta or bacon
- 1/2 pound to 1 pound raw de-veined shrimp (depends on how many you’re making)
- Old bay seasoning ( 1-2 tablespoons depending on how many shrimp.)
For the shrimp simply heat a pan over medium-high heat. Melt one tablespoon of butter. Coat the shrimp in old bay. Saute in the pan for about 1-2 minutes per side. And set aside.
Cook pancetta or bacon until nice and crispy. Set aside.
Follow the instructions on the back of your favorite grit mix. Add in cream, butter, and cheese.
Spoon the grits into small bite size bowls or spoons. (Cost Plus World Market people!) And proceed to top with pancetta and one shrimp. Voila!
Mini Caprese Bites
Fresh mozzarella balls, tomatoes, basil, and sweet balsamic drizzle. So delicious and the skewers allow for easy, mess-free eating. Simply layer your ingredients onto the skewers and dress with the vinegar and oil. Assembling the skewers is fun for the kids too!
- – Pint grape tomatoes.
- – Fresh small whole milk mozzarella cheese balls.
– Wooden skewers.
– Extra virgin olive oil (Enough for a light drizzle.)
– 2 tablespoons sweet balsamic glaze. (Or just enough to drizzle.)
-Fresh basil leaves.
– Salt and pepper to taste
TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!